The West Coast of the South Island has two outstanding glaciers that come from the highest reaches of the Southern Alps all the way down (almost) to sea level. These are massive areas of snow and ice that are linked by a system of four huts. In winter and spring when the snow piles up and the crevasses are filled, this becomes a ski touring paradise.
While the emphasis is on getting the best and most skiing possible. This five day trip also allows for the introduction of ski mountaineering techniques such as:
- Ski and Snowboard touring techniques & smart terrain selection
- Mountaineering & rope skills applicable to glacier ski & snowboard backcountry touring.
- Avalanche Awareness, transceiver use & rescue techniques
- Crevasse Rescue, route finding, ski and snowboard touring techniques
- Route finding, trip planning and navigation